Residential Life provides Winter Break Housing if you need to stay over break at any point between Thursday, December 20th at 5:00 PM and Friday, January 11th at 8:30 AM. You must officially register to be able to stay over Winter Break. There is no cost associated with staying with us over the break. Please note that there will be very limited resources over the break.
- If you are leaving to study abroad or are graduating, you are not permitted to stay with us during the Winter Break. You must vacate your room by December 20, 5:00pm.
- If you are returning from study abroad and needing early access please contact the office of Residential Life.
Deadline to register is Friday, December 14th at 11:59pm.
ALL students must complete a Winter Break Housing Request if you would like to:
- Stay for the entire Winter Break.
- Stay late (small portion of) Winter Break.
- Arrive early from Winter Break.
Form Submission Instructions
Log on to your WEBSTAC account:
- Select ‘Housing’ on the navigation bar
- Select ‘WashU Housing Portal’
- Select ‘Request Forms’ on the navigation bar
- Select the Winter Housing form and complete form
- Don’t forget to click the submit button!
Winter Checklist Items
- Keep heat on (65 degrees or low) but not off
- Close windows, lower and close blinds
- Unplug everything (defrost small personal refrigerators then leave unplugged). Fish Tanks can stay plugged.
- Unplug alarm clock!!
- Take out the trash and recycling
- Move furniture away from heater or vents
- Turn off lights
- Lock your door(s)
- Remove bikes from room, lock to an appropriate bike rack
- Don’t blue tape any doors
- If not returning next semester, check out with an RA or your RCD: email me to set up a time
Winter Move Out Procedure
If you are not returning to Residential Life (e.g. graduating, studying abroad or transferring to a different school) you MUST properly check out of your space either In-Person or Express Checkout.
Key Return Policy:
Students are required to return their room key if leaving the university in 1 of the 3 drop box locations listed below. Leaving your key under someone’s door is not allowed. You must check-out properly or you will be charged $75.00 improper checkout fee and $50.00 for an non-returned key.
Key Drop Locations:
- Residential Life Center on the South 40
- The Village Office
- The Lofts Office
Checkout Options & Appealing Damage
Students sign up with staff member to walk through their room and assess damages on their move-out date. Please see your RCD’s email about Winter Break to know particular In-Person checkout for your residential community.
Students doing an express check out are free to leave without signing up with a staff member. These students are not eligible for appealing damage charges.
Students that go through the In-Person Checkout are eligible for appealing damage charges. If you receive damages, you will be emailed along with documentation and charges of the damages. Deadline to appeal any damages received from your RCD is January 7, 2019 8:30AM.
Leaving the University & Spring Cancellations
By contract, any student who will not be here in the Spring (Studying Abroad, Graduating, Approved to take leave/withdrawal from the University)
MUST submit a Cancellation Request Form, available under the Request Tab of their Housing Portal by November 15th.
Vacancy In Your Room Spring Semester
Residential Life has the right to use any room vacancies. Unauthorized moves are strictly prohibited. We do not hold rooms for anyone due to the scarcity in room availability.
Buildings will close for the fall semester at 5:00 PM on Thursday, December 20, 2018 and reopen for the spring semester at 8:30 AM on Friday, January 11, 2018.
24 Hour Quiet Hours begin on Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 11:00 pm and will remain in effect until the Residence Halls close for the semester. There will be a $50 fine for all violations.